Monday 10 August 2009

Weekend Update

It's been a while since I updated you on the happenings around me. So I figured I'd get back into the swing of things.

I had a pretty good weekend. Saturday saw me off to a workshop on "Starting your Own Business". Someone advised me to go there and check it out because as a freelance writer I am basically self-employed and should have the data they were offering. So I boarded the train and set off on a cross-country expedition.

I have to admit that the workshop was a bit of a bust. I can't say that I got too much from it, but it was nice getting out a bit. This writing business can be a very lonely endeavor. As a writer I seem to spend most of my time in front of the computer and don't really get out much.

When I got back home late in the afternoon I decided to just chill out in front of the TV. I'm a bit of a sports freak and spent the rest of the day watching the cricket and rugby. On Sunday it was all football (soccer to the Americans).

If you see my last post I republished the story that I submitted to a magazine for publication. It's the first piece I've ever tried to sell. And I have to admit that I'm as nervous as hell about it. I don't know how I will respond if it's rejected by the magazine.

I believe that it's a fairly decent bit of writing and that it should be published. But I guess it's a writer's lot to be forever at the mercy of the editors' likes and dislikes. If they like it and publish it I will officially be able to call myself a professional writer. If not then it's back to the drawing board.

I would really appreciate if you would have a look at the story and let me know what you think. Realistic feedback and criticism are what I need, not the usual "oh, that's nice dear" I get from friends and family. I got some very good advice on it from my "literary adviser" (a.k.a. mom) and made a few alterations to the story.

Post your comments.

Thanks.

3 comments:

  1. so as a freelance writer, is there a book or two you can influence me to read? I am looking for new reading.
    also, is there anything of yours I can read?

    :)

    follow my blog of 4 categories: poems, short stories, feelings and real-life ranting!

    http://writersblock-decemberdreams87.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. A State worker is someone who works for the state. ha. In state offices, or for the state DEM, Government jobs and park jobs, etc

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, I find www.sacred-texts.com is a great place for research. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete

So, what's your take on it all?